According to Sky Sports, “after Monday’s earthquakes in Turkey and Syria, former Newcastle winger Christian Atsu went missing.” Hatayspor vice president Mustafa Ozat told a Turkish radio station that Atsu had been “taken from the ruins with injuries,” while sporting director Taner Savut is still trapped beneath the rubble.
As a result of the earthquakes that have killed at least 4,800 people, Atsu, a player for Hatayspor, was stranded.
The 31-year-old Ghana attacker had time with Chelsea, Everton, and Bournemouth before playing 107 appearances for Newcastle.
Taner Savut, the sporting director for Hatayspor, is still inside the destroyed structure.
Given its proximity to the earthquake’s core, Hatay has sustained significant damage.
After coming to Newcastle on loan from Chelsea for the 2017 season and eventually completing a permanent transfer, Atsu was a member of the club that earned promotion back to the Premier League. He also briefly served on a short basis at Everton and Bournemouth.
Atsu departed St James’ Park in the summer of 2021 after making 121 appearances for the club. On Sunday, he scored in the last seconds to secure a 1-0 victory against Kasimpasa.
Also read: Andra Ayew signs as new Nottingham Forest player, Official and confirmed – Deal until June
“Christian Atsu was removed from the wreckage with injuries,” Özat told Radyo Gol.
“Unfortunately, our sporting director Taner Savut is still under the rubble.
“Hatay was deeply affected. We are coming towards the end of the most dangerous hours.”
After spending a season with the Saudi Arabian side Al-Raed, Atsu, who earned 65 caps for Ghana, signed up with Hatayspor in September 2022.
In the last seconds of Hatayspor’s Super Lig game against Kasimpasa on Sunday, he scored the game-winning goal.
The Ghanaian Football Association tweeted: “We’ve received some positive news that Christian Atsu has been successfully rescued from the rubble of the collapsed building and is receiving treatment. Let’s continue to pray for Christian.”
Also read: Striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was not selected for Chelsea’s Champions League team.